Last edited: December 12, 2018
Hi there! High five for being proactive.
This stuff is usually confusing or misleading, so we want to break things down for you.
At Playground, we don’t just believe in “privacy”. We believe your data should actually stay private - unless you choose otherwise.
To be transparent, our goal is to get to know you well enough so that we can actually be useful to you. But what data we share and how we share it -- is up to YOU.
Before we get into it, here’s a little legal primer:
(Phew! What a mouthful). Where were we...
This policy will cover:
- Email, text, and other messages you exchange in cyberspace with us.
- Other mobile and desktop apps where you interact with us.
- Digital ads that you interact with on Playground (And only if those ads include a link to this policy.)
It won’t cover:
- Information collected by any third party -- including our affiliates, subsidiaries, or through any content (like ads) that link out from Playground.
- Third party payment processors (in case you ever buy a ticket through the app); So you’ll want to review ifany payment partner’s policiesu too.
Now. If you don’t need a quick coffee break or a nap (sorry! not sorry), keep reading.
Why data makes Playground more fun.
At Playground, our mission is to help you find instant community, anywhere. It’s a tall order that requires some of your data so we can suggest personalized content and make shortcuts for you. The benefits include:
Better event recommendations
- To serve you relevant event suggestions and offers.
- To send you push notifications reminding you about the activities and events that you’ve saved, or with in-app chat messages.
- To help you check in and confirm attendance to these events.
Better social experiences
- To tell your friends you’re nearby.
- To match you with other people who might be interested in the events you’re attending.
- Blah blah blah….are you still reading? Ok good. Just making sure.
Better customer service
- To provide you with notices about your account.
- To make sure we bill you correctly (only when you purchase something, of course).
- To notify you about changes to the platform, policies and terms.
- To respond to you when you contact us.
- To complete forms and file documents with the state.
- To send you marketing communications about Playground.
- In any other way we might describe while you’re using Playground.
- Full disclosure, we’re partnered with an ad agency (a really good one). Our thought is, ads can be really useful when they’re for something that will make your experiences, and your life, better. So yes, information we collect about you may be used to serve you ads. (More on that later).
What Playground learns about you.
Like we said, Playground isn’t a playground unless we learn about you, your passions, and your interests. And when we collect different types of information on you, it’s to serve you a better experience. Here’s what we’ll know:
- Your first and last name, address, hometown, school/employer, phone number, email, birthday, age, etc., and all of the details shown on your Facebook account (if you signed up or logged in with Facebook). We might also learn about you from your behaviors on the app - for example: geotags from your posts, how you use our Service, the kinds of content you engage with and the how long and how often you use Playground.
- Information other people provide about you when they use Playground -- for example, when a friend sends you a message, or if they upload, sync or import your contact information.
- The people, groups and communities you are connected to, and about how you interact with them.
- Any information you enter into a Playground form: whether that’s registering, reporting an issue, or when uploading, syncing or importing something like your address book from a device.
- Records and copies of your messages and chats if you contact us.
- Your searches on Playground.
- Details of your in-app transactions, reservations, and event bookings or orders. This includes payment information you might give to us before placing a reservation, event booking, or order through our Service.
Automatically collected info:
Besides the information you enter, automatic data collection technologies can also gather information about you while you use Playground, such as your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns. Specifically:
- Usage details, IP addresses, and information collected through cookies, web beacons, and other tracking technologies, as you navigate through the site. This includes but is not limited to information such as your liked pages, events that you have been invited to and/or attending, etc.
- Location details, device identifiers, and other personalized content technologies, from when you download and use the mobile app.
Crazy, right? But don’t worry.
Anytime data is automatically collected, it’s statistical and won’t be linked to you, or any individual, personally. If we do match any aggregate data with your personal information, we’ll get your permission first. This helps us:
- Remember your preferences, which helps us customize our Service according to your individual interests.
- Speed up your searches.
- Recognize you when you return to our Service.
Since we’re always want to improve, we’ll also use aggregate data for ourselves to understand our audience size and usage patterns.
Targeted ads, third party cookies, and other tracking technologies.
Now that you know what we know you know we know...who will we share this with? It’s simple:
We will never disclose your personal info to third parties. But they might pay us to show you targeted content, based on that info.
Let us explain. Third parties (including advertisers, ad networks, content and application providers) love to buy ads on platforms like Playground. That’s because we help them understand who they should sell ads to. Event organizers and venues love doing this too, because we can promote their event to certain demographics based on a person’s preferences, schedules, and other habits.
On the flip side, we can also work with third parties and advertisers to get information about you and your activities on and off of Playground. For example: an advertiser might let us know if you bought something from them (this in turn, helps us work with similar advertisers that could be relevant to you).
Want to opt out of targeted ads completely? Keep reading.
Your data. Your choice.
You have the power in choosing what personal information you share with us. Here are some ways to take control:
- Playground Promotions. You can always opt out, but that won’t apply to info you share while making purchases and transactions and registering warranties.
- Targeted Advertising. You can opt out of ads on your registration, in your settings, or by sending us an email. For this opt-out to function, you’ll need to have your browser set to accept browser cookies.
- Third-Party Advertising. If you don’t want us to share your personal information with third parties for promotional purposes, you can opt out by checking the box on the registration form. You can also opt out by logging in and adjusting your user preferences in your account profile.
- Third Party Data Collection. We don’t control third parties' collection or use of your information to serve you interest-based ads, but they may have their own opt-out policies. For example, if you are receiving targeted ads from members of the Network Advertising Initiative ("NAI"), you can opt out on the NAI's website.
- Europeans! This is for you: Currently, Playground is used by US residents, and governed by United States law. If you live in Europe and want to use Playground, you’ll need to consent to our use of your data by checking the “I Consent” box when you sign up. If you are an EEA resident and would like to be “forgotten” (have your data removed from our Services), you can follow the instructions at www.playgroundapp.com/termsofservice and email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Please Forget Me.” Oui?! Okay then.
Aggregate data vs personal data.
Aggregate data is statistical, and completely different than personal data that identifies you. Like most companies, we have the right to disclose aggregate information about our all users without restriction.
By using Playground, you agree to share your personal data in these instances:
- To share your profile information and saved events with others that you have matched with.
- To share demographics and other relevant data with event organizers in order to help them optimize their future events. Also to share with our e-commerce partners who want to feature products related to those events in our event newsletter.
- To our subsidiaries, affiliates, contractors, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our business.
- If another company were to buy Playground (or we went through some other kind of merger), we would share all of our data with that company.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- To comply with any court order or legal process.
- To enforce or apply our terms of service (www.playgroundapp.com/termsofservice) and other agreements, including for billing and collection purposes.
- If we think disclosure is necessary to protect the rights, property, or safety of our company, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Accessing, correcting, and protecting your information.
If you want to see or change your personal info, just log into the app and visit your personal profile. If want to delete your personal information completely: A/ We’ll miss you. and B/ You’ll have to delete your entire user account.
It’s on us to protect your personal information from loss and theft, and we take this super seriously. But you should still be smart about your own security and keep your password confidential. (A-thank youuu).
Will our policy ever change?
The tech scene changes fast, so our policy might change too. We’ll tell you if and when that happens through email, but it’s always a good idea to check the date at the top of this page and make sure you’re familiar with the latest.
Ask us questions. We’re humans!
Now…(finally!). Let’s get off our screens. And go play.
. . .
Have fun and we’ll see you out there,
The Playground Team